Finally! I finally made it. I bought a dresser from Ikea back in October and I have finally finished it. I have been remodeling my craft/play room for about 2 years now, and we are getting closer to my final vision. I have been collecting craft supplies for years (and I mean about 18 years or so). I buy sale items, yard sales/thrift shop bundles you name it. Basically my room was starting to look like the dump scene from the movie Labyrinth and something had to be done. Now I try to buy only the things I absolutely will use’ not just things I might use “someday”. Of course, I say this just as we picked up a huge bundle of Lincoln logs from a local thrift shop for $1…who knows what I’ll come up with for these?
I touched on my dresser designs before when I was remodeling our Slytherin themed bathroom, but this time I chose to not do a luggage design. I kind of cheated and reused a few of the same templates I had already in my Cricut arsenal. Why make it more difficult than I have to, right?
If you are going to paint a piece of furniture, I would recommend painting the components before assembly, just so you can maneuver it easily. But, this treatment can be done to an existing dresser that needs a remake.
My first step was to stain the outer shell of the dresser. I used natural grey and once that was cured I used a glossy polyurethane to seal and protect it. I painted only the front panels of the drawers since you will seldom see the sides anyway. Each drawer was a different shade of green (I used acrylic craft paint and I mixed in some of the glitter paints to make it super special).
Layouts/Files below are for PERSONAL USE ONLY. I do not own any copyrights or licensing for the logos/names/art/etc. My templates /artwork and designs are strictly for inspiration and entertainment purposes only, and are NOT intended for sale/resale. PLEASE DO NOT attempt to sell anything you make using my templates. This is meant for PERSONAL USE ONLY. Thank you
I then used my Cricut to cut out vinyl stencils of the Borgin and Burkes logo, (this time i just did the store name) Slytherin crest, snakes, and a snake skin pattern. I found all of these in a Google image search. For the final drawer, I had one silver Gringotts Bank HTV decal left over from our cork-board coaster project and I simply ironed that onto one of the finished drawers.
Applying the decals was pretty much the same as the signs we have created as well.
I used a selection of metallic craft acrylic paint to apply over the decal/stencils because I wanted it (sings like the crab from Moana) to BE SHINY! I did a gradient on the house crest because I’m fancy like that, and on the snake skin pattern because I wanted it to look realistic. With the snake skin stencil I did a solid darker color in the center, and then working outwards on the top and bottom, made it lighter. I did this so that the larger scale sections were a lighter color as they would be on the bottom of the snake skin.
Donations are appreciated, but not expected. They go towards craft supplies and site maintenance in order to help bring more fantastic content.
Once the paint was dry I removed the vinyl and touched up the edges as needed.
The final step was to assemble the dresser and figure out what I was storing in this one. The ones I made in my first batch are now used mostly for my fabric storage for when I get some time to get back to sewing.
Don’t forget to subscribe for updates. Confirm your subscription email. Otherwise, post notifications end up in the spam folder, and I would hate for you to miss out.
If this project inspires you to make your own please tag/share with me on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest. I would love to see what you come up with.